Enabling the Terrain Editor
- Get the v1.1 patch for Railroads, from one of these places:
Once this patch is installed, the Terrain Editor is available, but needs to be enabled before you see it on the game menu.
- Find the file 'Settings.ini' in your 'My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!' folder, as shown here:
- Right-click the 'Settings.ini' file, select 'Open With', choose Wordpad, and add a new line,
'EditorEnabled = 1' as shown here:
Save the file and close Wordpad.
- Now when you start the game, you should see the Terrain Editor option
(check the version number in the bottom left corner is Version 126.96.36.199
- if not, you haven't correctly installed the patch)
Running the Terrain Editor
- Here's the game Intro screen showing the 'Terrain Editor' option.
- Click the 'Terrain Editor' button, and (once you've acknowledged the warning)...
- ... you will see this menu:
- Click the 'Create a new map.' option, and you will see this selection of map sizes. Pick one.
|'Create a new map' Menu||Area||Grid Size||Size of map in .tga file|
||100 sq. units||= 10 x 10||601x601 pixels (x8)|
|121 sq. units||= 11 x 11||661x661 pixels (x8)|
|144 sq. units||= 12 x 12e||721x721 pixels (x8)|
|169 sq. units||= 13 x 13||781x781 pixels (x8)|
|196 sq. units||= 14 x 14||841x841 pixels (x8)|
|225 sq. units||= 15 x 15||901x901 pixels (x8)|
|Return To Editor Menu|
(A 'unit' here is equivalent to 60x60 pixels in the tga file used to store terrain height info etc.)
- The editor loads, and you are prompted for a map name. Here I'm calling mine 'test_map'.
(The file name extension, '.SMR_Scenario', will be added automatically to indicate its type.)
- Once you've named your new map and clicked 'OK', the Terrain Editor icon menu appears...